I enjoy it when the world smiles; the more smiles, the warmer I am. (Dejan Stojanovic)
WARMTH is one of those words that is inseparable from the Christmas season for me. Just SEEING something that symbolizes WARMTH to me makes my day better. As Harula has mentioned, a smile turns up my thermostate — especially if it’s from a child. What are some other things?
- a candle glowing
- a bowl of hot soup
- mittens and scarves
- a hearth fire
- hot chocolate
- winter sun falling through a window
- getting a letter or card from a friend
- a cozy blanket
- and probably the most important thing of all — a HUG!!!
Hugs are amazing things! Did you know, for example that HUGS
1. REDUCE WORRY OF MORTALITY — touch by another person may help to instill in people a sense of existential significance
2. STIMULATES OXYTOCIN (known as the Love Drug!) — acts on the limbic system, the brain’s emotional centre, promoting feelings of contentment, reducing anxiety and stress
3. LOWERS HEART RATE — can reduce a quickened heart rate of 10 beats per minute to five beats per minute
4. STIMULATES DOPAMINE — which can help protect against serious depression and other mental illness
5. STIMULATES SEROTONIN — releases endorphins and serotonin into the blood vessels, and the released endorphins and serotonin cause pleasure and negate pain and sadness and decrease the chances of getting heart problems, helps fight excess weight and prolongs life
6. PARASYMPATHETIC BALANCE — balance out the nervous system
7. ENHANCE IMMUNE SYSTEM — helps to change the way your body handles both physical and social stresses, thus boosting your immune system naturally, to do the job it was designed to do!
(Read about it here: 8 Ways Science Reveals That Hugging Creates a Physiological Response Equivalent To Drugs)
Well if you DIDN’T know that, now you do! So what are you going to do about it? Who are you going to pass along some WARMTH to today?. 😀